Sunday, August 3, 2008

What You Say...What They Hear



At the pool, the same thing always happens.

If you have (or had kids), you know exactly what I'm talking about.

You're already dried off and are sitting outside the pool watching them swim.

(From the pool at Pawleys 2008. And befpre you email me that the picture is blurry, I meant to have the kids jumping be blurry. It was done intentionally.)




They've been swimming so long that their skin looks like a wrinkled raisins and you are hot as hades and the color of a crab.

You're ready to go.

They're not.

What I say: Shane, Owen...five more minutes then we're leaving.

They see you collecting things and they know that they're on borrowed time.

What they hear: Sh..Ow...five....utes..we...

And, they hear this because they continue going under water so they don't have to listen to you.

They only come up when they're lungs are about to explode.

And even then, it's usually just their lips and nose above water.

Their ears never make it above water.

And, you're helpless to stop it unless you jump in and get completely wet again.

So, they win this round.

But, you are on to them and you started the process 20 minutes before you actually wanted to leave.

By the way, I distinctly remember doing this to my parents and I'm sorry. So, now you can lift that curse too, m'kay?

4 comments:

The Sneaky Chef said...

Hi Kim,

I work with The Sneaky Chef. You posted a very funny and informative blog about us on Feb. 19th which I've just rediscovered. I'd love to talk with you more about it. Would you be kind enough to email directly at the "follow up comments" address included here, or you could contact me through the Sneaky Chef website.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Larry Chase
Content Editor

Kim Eckhardt said...

Hi Larry.

I'm glad that you enjoyed my post on The Sneaky Chef. I enjoyed writing it. :) I'd be happy to talk to you and will email you through your website. You can also email me at kim_eckhardt@yahoo.com.

Talk soon.

Kim

ginny said...

We must go through the teenage years before the curse is lifted!!!!

Queen of her Castle said...

Yes, I remember doing that as a kid. And now it's payback. My kids do the same thing.