Thursday, March 13, 2008

Does Not Follow Directions...

So, I was feeling pretty good about myself. Shane brought home a field trip consent form yesterday that needed to be signed and needed a check (of course) to go with it. So, instead of telling him to add it to the stack of papers towering on the counter from the school that already needs to be handled, I took it right then, read it, marked the field trip on my calendar, cut the portion that needed to go back to school, wrote the check and put it in his folder and put the folder in the backpack.

Note that I actually took the time to cut across the dotted line (following directions, of course) and not just half-ass creasing it on the counter (like I usually do two days after the form is due and right before they leave for school) and tearing it so that it looks like the Grand Tetons.

Sweet. I am so on top of things. I grabbed one of my to-do lists, wrote down "sign field trip consent form for Shane" and put a big check beside of it. In RED marker because I was super proud of myself.

Fast forward to this morning. I was at the school helping with the third grade book cart and Shane comes up to me. At first, I thought to myself "aw...he finally wants to acknowledge me in front of his friends" and I gave him a hug. Of course, he let me give him a hug. Not that he hugged me back. But, that's a different post.

Anyway, but, no. That was not the case. He was in distress. Apparently, the form that I had so carefully placed in his backpack was the wrong half of the consent form and I had kept the signed part at the house. Lord have mercy, I don't think that I even signed the part that needs to be signed.

So, I took the check back and the information sheet back (you know the one that actually tells me when the field trip is and what he needs to bring) and said I'd add it back to my to-do list and would bring in the other portion later today.

Apparently I need a new to-do list. Called the Do-Over list because I can't seem to follow simple directions. Oh well. At least I tried. That counts for something, right?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And they say only kids don't follow directions. LOL! I hate those darn forms. I always forget to detach the part that has the information on it so I can never remember when the trip is. Thankfully we have good teacher's who remind parents like me.

Anonymous said...

And they say only kids don't follow directions. LOL! I hate those darn forms. I always forget to detach the part that has the information on it so I can never remember when the trip is. Thankfully we have good teacher's who remind parents like me.

Kim Eckhardt said...

LOL, Becky. I feel that I have a second job keeping up with all of the extra papers that come in for the boys. Sometimes I'll go through the stack and think "woops...missed that deadline." But, that is okay. I just throw it away and check it off my list. ;)