Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Typical Grocery Shopping - With Kids

Everytime I take the kids to the grocery store with me, I wonder why in the heck did I do this to myself? Didn't I learn my lesson from last time? Apparently not.

My kids love to lay across the bottom of the cart and ride their way through on the bottom of the store grocery cart and it drives me bonkers because there is one cart and two kids and that is just a fight waiting to happen.

Our trip to the grocery store usually goes like this:

ME: Outside the store: "You're not crawling under the cart. I can't push the cart if you're under it. Besides it's not safe."

SHANE and OWEN: "Okay, mommy."





In the first isle, I stop to get bread. Owen sneaks under the cart and is ready to be pushed.


SHANE : THAT'S NOT FAIR! I WANT TO RIDE UNDER THE CART. (Of course this is in the absolutely loudest voice possible attracting every other parents disapproving looks.)

OWEN: Too bad. I got here first. Neeener...(sticks tounge out at Shane because whatelse is he going to do? Plus, he's already won the first round. Score: Owen 1.)













Me: STOP IT, Owen. Get out from under the cart. I'm sorry, Shane. You can have a turn next trip. By this point, I'm defeated. I just want to survive this grocery shop trip and get out with some money left in the bank.





Isle 4: Owen gets out from under the cart so he can grab some cookies and "sneak" them into the cart. Yeah, Owen, you're slick. At that point, I'm distracted with getting the cookies from Owen and putting them back onto the shelf.











SHANE: Sees the opportunity and runs like hell for the cart and crams his 8 year old body underneath. His legs are sticking out by a mile but he doens't care because he's one-upped his brother.



Score: Owen, 1, Shane 1.

OWEN: THAT'S NOT FAIR, SHAAAAANNNNNEEE. I was under there!!!!!! (Of course this is in the absolutely loudest voice possible attracting every other parents disapproving looks.)

SHANE : TOO BAD! (sticks tounge out at Owen. Neener, neener, neener.)

ME: Knock it off you two. I mean it!

Meanwhile, I'm pushing the cart (and we're only halfway done with the grocery shopping) and Shane's legs are knocking everything over and Owen is darting all over the place.

And, so the cycle goes until they've had equal turns under the cart.

Remember...I said no kids under the cart in the grocery store.

Back in the car:

OWEN: We were good in there, weren't we, mommy? They are in total agreement about this one!

SHANE : Did you get us the cookies like you said that you would if we were good, mommy?

ME: Braces myself for the argument whether they were good or not.


So, if you're reading this and you have or had kids and don't relate to it, either 1) you're not taking your kids to the grocery store with you enough, or 2) you only have one child. If you would like to experience this for yourself, come get Shane and Owen and take them with you the next time you go shopping. Just buy some beer at the store. Because you're going to need it when you get home!

13 comments:

Kim Eckhardt said...

My mom just emailed me to ask me why I didn't just go by myself.

Comments, mom. Just put it in the comments. I'll respond. ;)

Well...most of the time I do but sometimes I just run out of time during the day or I just have no other choice. Believe me. Taking them is my last option!

Kim Eckhardt said...

LOL. I just had a closer look at that picture with Shane under the cart. If you look to his right, Owen's shoe is there. He must have crammed himself under the cart when Owen was still there. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I'm sure that didn't cause a problem!

RobinW said...

Yet another reason to stop at one! :D

ginny said...

I know these are not my sweet little grandchildren that you are talking about! Shame on you for making up these stories!

Anonymous said...

that is why i go at night.

ginny said...

I just realized- who in their right mond takes a camera to the grocery store????

Kim Eckhardt said...

Robin, you're a smart girl. But, we knew that already.

Yes, Ginny...these are your grandchildren. The proof is in the pictures. They weren't staged. And, yes...I take my camera into the grocery store. But, it's just my point and shoot. Not my Rebel. I'm not that weird. It stays in my purse just in case I want it. Like if I get into a wreck and need to take a picture for insurance purposes. It's more handy than the disposable ones that someone insisted I put into my car that kept expiring.

Susan, if you took Mary Mayken and the camera into the grocery store, you could take pics of her standing one footed on the cart's handle bar while you were looking at some tofu crap to sneak into Wilson's food. ;)

Anonymous said...

now that's an idea!!! If I took mary mayken into the grocery store I would not have time to grab my camera because I would be too busy trying to keep her from falling on her head. I can't let Wilson read this blog anymore. He is onto the S.C.
susan

Kim Eckhardt said...

Don't worry. I'm not putting anymore SC stuff on. Ken's onto it too. ;)

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Welcome to the world of parenthood...wait till they're old enough to discover girls and want to borrow the car...LOL...I can hardly wait to see THAT blog

uncle Don in NY

Anonymous said...

and boys are WAYYYY better than girls.....trust me would have rather had 5 more boys to one more girl...no ffense taken Kim sorry !!!!!!!!!!

D in NY

Anonymous said...

Great idea Kim...send Shane and Owen up here with Laura and I for the summer....I can promise I will teach em well...LOL....they will amaze you with their actions when they return home ROTFLMAO

uncle Don in NY

Kim Eckhardt said...

I'm glad that ya'll are getting amusement from my pain. LOL.

And, Don...you better be careful what you ask for!!!!!