Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hot Now!



Every now and then we'll drive by Krispy Kreme Donuts when the "Hot Now!" sign is on and the boys beg, no beg, to go in and get the donuts when they're hot off of the conveyor belt.

Last night, we went to eat at Carrabbas and the boys had dropped me off at AC Moores to get something (for Shane, not for me!). It was freezing and I came outside looking for them. I assumed that they had gone to Krispy Kreme because the boys had noticed the red light. I had noticed it.

I finally spotted Ken parked in the van and got his attention (he was playing with the radio station and wasn't paying attention - um, thanks, it wasn't cold or windy.) When I told him that I assumed he had gone to Krispy Kreme, he said that the boys had already seen the sign and it was already decided by them. Ken started go to through the drive-through but I told him to go inside.

Then I was totally shocked when Ken said that he had never been inside of a Krispy Kreme Donut shop before. How is that possible? I guess he's only gone through the drive through. I know I have taken the boys there several times and they love watching the donuts being made. Surely he had been with us at least once. Nope. Never.

So, the boys got to watch the donuts being made and Ken and I got to chill out.
























As we were sitting there, I got a nostalgic feeling about the place. Not that it was nostalgic to me but the music was kind of 1950's and I could imagine that teens in the 1950's would go on a date or hang out with their friends at a local place like this. I could picture them in their saddle oxfords and poofy skirts and guys with their slicked back hair driving their souped up cars to impressed the girls. Maybe something like this:













That's my dad when he was younger and his Chevy. :)

There is something else that I learned about Ken last night. After almost 14 years of marriage (I know, I know!), I learned that there was a donut that he, in fact, wouldn't eat (that didn't have some sort of nuts or fruits or veggies in it!). Nope...one that was actually too sweet for him. I know! I know! Wild, huh?

I knew that his favorite is the custard filled donuts. It's sometimes called a Bavarian Creme. And, I knew that he didn't really care for the cream filled donuts. You know the ones that are rolled in confectionary sugar and have the icing like filling. Well...he told me that he wouldn't eat those even if it was the only donut available and has in fact turned down that very donut when it was the only thing available.

Say, what?!

I have so much to learn about him.

Anyway, the boys enjoyed their donuts.
























Moral of the story? If the "Hot Now!" sign is lit up at the Krispy Kreme and you drive by, don't just go through the drive through. Park and go inside. It's the best way to waste twenty minutes of your time and the kids don't mind doing it at all!


I know - it's funny that it's two donuts and reduce fat milk. :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess I am the only one who reads this stuff.
Uncle "C"

Kim Eckhardt said...

Nope. Everyone else just sends me an email commenting on the posts. :)