Friday, May 23, 2008

He's A Smartie

I haven't mentioned it here because I didn't want to jinx Shane.

He's been testing for the Focus program (the gifted program) for the last 3 months. It's been quite an ordeal. He took a 4 hour test (made 93, 95 and 97 on the three parts) and had to put together a portfolio of his work (writing samples, math samples, problem solving samples, etc.)

He asked to be tested (and by asked, I mean bugged his teacher and the Focus teacher every time he saw them.) They finally decided that he was ready.

For Shane, this was a major deal. If you know him, he's super cautious and doesn't like to put himself out there to fail.

He knew the risk/rewards and we talked extensively about the fact that he may not get into the program. He didn't care. He wanted to try. So, we said go for it.

Well, the review committee got together yesterday.

He was accepted!

He's going to be so excited and I'm excited for him.

I'm glad for him but this program has been so good for his self esteem. He's really become so much more confident in himself and is loving the work. He's not giving me a hard time anymore about his homework because he wants to do it. He likes the math challenges especially. Thank God because I'm so not good at math. Hopefully, he'll be able to help Owen. If he even needs it. Owen seems to be pretty good at math too. Again, thanking God!

He's already been participating in the program. They had to do a research project over a seven week period and had to interview an expert. His project was on Gems. He wanted to know what made gems their color and what made them valuable. It was a hard topic because it was extremely technical with regards to the chemistry involved in gem formations.

But, he got it and understood it and that's all that mattered. I, on the other hand, struggled to comprehend the chemistry. LOL. But, I was able to help him with the research and writing part. That, I can do.

From the Focus Festival:

Being interviewed by the school principal:



Just being cute. :)



Shane and his "friend" Josie, or Jo-Jo, as the kids are now calling her.



A birds-eye view of his project. It was a county wide festival with kids from all over the county. There were some amazing projects! The kids did a great job!

7 comments:

Teacher in the middle said...

Congratulations Shane!!! You are a very handsome youngun and smart too! What more could we want, right?

Kim, I need some advice on a photo...it has to do with my point and shoot digital and too much light on the object, but the environment is too dark to go without the flash. Do you have an email I can send the pic to? Shoot me one at rmadden@rock-hill.k12.sc.us.

Thanks,
Robin

Caroline George said...

I think the shirt he is wearing makes him EVEN smarter!!!
Congrats!

Kim Eckhardt said...

Robin, send it to me at kim_eckhardt@yahoo.com. Also, let me know what kind of camera you have so I can take a look at the settings for your camera. Sometimes you can do things about light with a point and shoot and others you can't. Email me. :)

Kim Eckhardt said...

That's Clempson. C-L-E-M-S-O-Nnnnnn. ;)

ginny said...

We're so very proud of Shane. He's really grown up so much this last year. (time to put a brick on his head so he stops growing)
We all knew how smart he was, now it's offical.

ginny said...

We're so very proud of Shane. He's really grown up so much this last year. (time to put a brick on his head so he stops growing)
We all knew how smart he was, now it's offical.

Anonymous said...

arzu doxium macfarlane segmented births grow disposal shockwave peabody eighty romantic
lolikneri havaqatsu