Thursday, May 8, 2008

Looking In The Mirror

When you look in the mirror, what do you see?

I *thought* I was pretty kewl. Spelled kewl because I'm cool like that. :)

I *thought* that I wasn't a "PTA mom".

But, apparently, I was wrong.

Evidentially, I am a dorky soccer mom.

One of the moms in the neighborhood told me that she thought that I was dorky before she got to know me.

Dorky.

Man...I feel like I'm in junior high again. Feeling self conscious and all.

Then at the NASCAR race this weekend, one of the guys tailgating told me that I was a soccer mom.

Wow.

That threw me off. I've never considered myself anywhere near a quote/unquote soccer mom (or what I consider to be a "soccer mom.") My kids aren't in a gazillion activities because I don't want to haul them around all the time and definitely don't want to spend our entire weekend at endless activities. If they are in a sport, I'm not screaming at them from the side line.

Well...except when I told Owen to remember that he was actually at soccer practice.

Kind of ironic that it was at a soccer game, eh?

Before I get hate mail, there's nothing wrong with being a soccer mom. I just never thought of myself that way. You could certainly be worse things.

It's just the way that the guy said it. Like it was a put down or something.

It's things like that that just make you stop and say "hum."

It's weird that someone would judge you without knowing you. I guess that I've been brought up to believe that people are people and the janitor is just as important as the CEO of the company. When I worked at the Senate, I spoke to the senators the same way that I spoke to the janitor. There's no judgement. Ever.

It's also weird that the way that people perceive you. Or maybe it's weird the way that I perceive myself. Maybe I really am a soccer mom and I'm just in denial.

Either way, I guess not everyone sees me as the cool, skinny 21 year old girl that I see myself as. :o)

11 comments:

ginny said...

It's hell to grow up, isn't it girl???

Kim Eckhardt said...

Oh man. I'm so going to resist the urge to say you should know. Can not resist. Must say it. Or, maybe I'll just say that dad should know and leave it at that. ;)

Anonymous said...

I hate to break it to you. Examine the facts: You drive a minivan, help out at the school breakfast, actually sit down and cut coupons. These are just examples. Need I go on? Sorry. Reality sucks sometimes. You know the saying. If it looks like a duck.....

Kim Eckhardt said...

I drive a Beetle convertible. Ken drives a minivan.

He's the soccer mom...

ginny said...

Add all Susan said to the fact that you don't leave the house to go to work (Please note- I did not say you don't work) Sounds more & more like a "soccer mom" I think the term "soccer mom" is any mom who is very involved with what her kids do. (sports, school,etc.) And I do know- it is hell to grow old!!! Growing old is not an option, growing up is. But that being said, I also think the not growing up is a luxury that only men have! (boy will I get burned for that comment!)

Kim Eckhardt said...

I'll not burn you for that comment.

However, I will be cowering in the corner, sucking my thumb now that I reallize that I'm old and a soccer mom.

But, I can't do that for too long. I'm on my way to Owen's class to help Mrs. King with a project.

I guess that I need to amend my post, huh?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Teacher in the middle said...

Kim...I feel your pain. My husband wanted me to drive a minivan. I did for a while but I finally just looked at him and said "I am too cool to drive a minivan...if you want one, you drive it." I clip coupons too...I drive all over town (or used to, before gas shot up) to save money on groceries. Growing up is hell...I constantly shock myself when I look in the mirror! I think you're cool and there is nothing more important than taking care of your children! ;-)

Kim Eckhardt said...

But, I should also note that the dude didn't know that I have kids or what I do. He just said that I looked like a soccer mom.

He meant it as an insult (whether it was intentional or not.)

I guess I didn't realize that I looked like a soccer mom.

Like I said, being a soccer mom isn't a bad thing.

KenDC said...

Soccer Mom's are HAWT!! :p

Nice blog!!

Queen of her Castle said...

Time for a tattoo. See, that is my answer. Then even though I am a soccer mom, I would be a cool one with a tattoo.

Oh and thanks Ken. Or were your just taking about your Soccer Mom?

Becky W

Teacher in the middle said...

Warning...tattoos are addictive! Greg and I went together to get our first ones two years ago and we are planning to get our second one this summer. It's like there's some kind of addictive substance in the ink!